The 2018 Sweetener Systems Post Conference Magazine provides a summary of key points from speakers at this event.
Table of Contents:
- Understanding Shopper Attitudes Towards Sweeteners in the U.S. and Beyond
While consumers want sugar reduction, other sweeteners haven’t lost their appeal.
– Julie Johnson, General Manager, HealthFocus International
- An FDA Update: Sugary Ingredients’ Impact on Added Sugar Labeling
Confusion reigns over the proposed “Added Sugar” labeling rules.
– Lauren Swann, MS, RDN, LDN, CEO and President, Concept Nutrition, Inc.
- Reducing Added Sugars: Will it Reverse the Trend towards Overweight & Obesity?
A causal relationship between sugar and obesity is not supported by the highest level of scientific evidence.
– John S. White, Ph.D., President and Founder, WHITE Technical Research
- Replication of Sugar Taste Enabled by Taste Modulators & Enhancers
Improvements in commercial viability of high-potency sweetness enhancers continue.
– Grant E. DuBois, Ph.D., Consultant, Sweetness Technologies, LLC
- 3rd Generation Stevia Extracts: Neuroscience, Ingredient Technologies & Food Applications
Look to strategy and technology for optimum sensory performance and cost of high-potency sweeteners.
– Alex Woo, Ph.D., CEO and Founder, W2O Food Innovation
- Analytical Methods for Walking on the Lawful Side of Sugars, Dietary Fiber and Bioactive Sweeteners
The food analysis industry hustles to comply with pending nutrition-labeling law changes in 2020.
– David Plank, Managing Principal, WRSS Food & Nutrition Insights; and Sr. Research Fellow, Dept. Food Science and Nutrition, University of Minnesota
Applications Panel: Technical Tips for Sugar Reduction
Tips for sugar-reduced baked products; frozen dairy desserts; and sensory evaluation of sweetener systems.
- Five Tips for Reducing Sugar in Bars & Baked Goods
– Panelist: Melanie Goulson, MSc, General Manager, Merlin Development
- Reducing Sugar in Frozen Dairy Desserts
– Panelist: Jonathan Hopkinson, Ph.D., Technology Consultant, Frozen Desserts
- Practical Sensory Tools to Use in Evaluating Sugar Reduction Efforts
– Panelist: Judy Lindsey, General Manager of Brisan Group (previously Product Dynamics, a division of RQA, Inc.)
- 2018 Sweetener Systems Conference Summary Sponsor Profiles